Diabetes is one of the most common and complex chronic diseases in the world. It is a condition in which human body struggles with generating appropriate levels of insulin or glucose. This is becoming the leading cause of death.
If you’re suffering from diabetes, you need to pay attention to your diet plan because it plays a huge role. Having a healthy diet plan can help you in maintaining the right levels of insulin and glucose in your body and boost overall health. Add nutritious superfoods in your diet plan.
Here is the list of top 10 superfoods diabetics must consume for balancing blood sugar level and health.
The list of top 10 superfoods for diabetics
- Apples: “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” A study conducted at Ohio State University proved that eating an apple a day continuously for four weeks decreased the LDL cholesterol (contributor to heart-related diseases) levels by 40 percent. According to a survey, it is proved that people who eat four to five apples a week are not suffering from diabetes as compared to those who don’t. In an average sized apple, there are 3 grams of fiber (both insoluble and soluble fiber) and 15 grams of carb which is essential for good health.
- Broccoli: It is considered as an anti-diabetes superhero. It includes sulforaphane which helps in blood sugar control and protects your blood vessels from damage which is a consequence of diabetes. The protein available in this super food works as a life saver (decrease heart disease rate).
- Blueberries: For diabetics, blueberries are the perfect super food. They include both soluble and insoluble fiber and help you boost blood sugar control. A research by the USDA shows that people who add blueberries juice in their regular diet plan for at least 12 weeks, this juice helps them to lower blood sugar levels, enhance memory power, and increase insulin production.
- Fish: This super food is rich in protein. Protein keeps you feeling fuller for a long time and also helps to reduce inflammation. It contains Omega-3 fatty acids which decrease inflammation which can lead to unwanted weight problems and diabetes.
- Cannellini Beans: These beans are full of cholesterol lowering solution fiber and protein. They help you slow down the production of blood sugar. Add a cup of beans to your diet plan to see substantial positive results.
- Spinach: This green leafy super food decreases the risk of diabetes. People who add spinach and other leafy greens to their diet plan drop the risk of diabetes by 14 percent. This green super food is rich in magnesium, Vitamin K, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, and folate. It is also a perfect source of calcium.
- Dark Chocolates: Chocolates are a great source of flavonoids and antioxidants. They control insulin sensitivity, sugary cravings, and glucose metabolism. People who eat dark chocolates have better insulin sensitivity than others. Available flavonoids are responsible to balance blood pressure, reduce stroke risk, and lower the risk of heart attacks. Chocolates help curb sweet tooth cravings (an important component for managing blood glucose).
- Pumpkin Seeds: Add a handful of pumpkin seeds to your diet plan to fight cravings for sugary and fatty foods. These seeds are rich in unsaturated fats & iron and suppress your appetite. They help regulate blood sugar levels in the body. Additionally, they enhance insulin sensitivity and gut health.
- Mixed Nuts: Mixed nuts are full of Omega-3 fatty acids with low glycemic index. The essential nutrients and oils present on nuts help you in dropping blood sugar, diabetic inflammation, and LDL cholesterol level. Consuming about 30 grams of mixed nuts daily is a great substitute for carbs and good for your overall health.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is known as a great Ayurvedic superfood for diabetes. Consuming turmeric is an effective way to manage blood sugar. This superfood offers protection from heart diseases and reduces cholesterol levels. It helps you balance the level of insulin in your body. Turmeric also helps in reducing oxidative stress in diabetes and lowers blood sugar level.
These are some of the most effective superfoods which provide an abundance of nutrients and especially great for diabetics. Adding these nutrition superfoods in your diet plan helps you recover diabetes disease and also offers several health benefits like reducing inflammation, burn fat, with overall well-being.